PENTAXIM is a vaccine used to protect against diphtheria, tetanus, polyomyelitis and severe illness, the cause of which is Haemophilus influenzae type b. A possible replacement is Infanrix vaccine, but only with the approval of a doctor.
PENTAXIM encourages the organism to produce its own protection in the form of antibodies against bacteria and viruses that can cause the following diseases:
- Diphtheria as an infectious disease that usually affects the throat first. This infection is the cause of pain and islet throat, which can cause choking. The bacterium that causes this disease, produces a toxin that can damage the heart, kidneys and nerves.
- Tetanus causes tetanus bacteria that has reached deeper wounds. And it produces a toxin that causes muscle spasms, causing breathing difficulties and sometimes choking.
- A pertussis (known as a whooping cough) is a bacterial respiratory tract infection that can occur at any age, but is most common in babies and children. The disease is characterized by severe coughing attacks and by a few weeks.
- Polyomyelitis (childhood paralysis) is caused by viruses that involve the nerves, resulting in paralysis or muscle weakness, mainly in the legs. If the paralysis involves the muscles that are responsible for controlling breathing and swallowing, this disease can become fatal.
- Infections caused by Haemophilus influenzae type B are dangerous and can cause meningitis (inflammation of the cerebral envelope), blood infections, pneumonia, subcutaneous tissues, joint inflammation and part of the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing and breathing.
Who gets PENTAXIM vaccine?
PENTAXIM vaccine is intended for the vaccination of children aged 2 months to 2 years of age. It is used as a primary vaccine or for the pre-vaccination of children who have been previously vaccinated with this or a similar vaccine.
PENTAXIM will not provide protection against diseases caused by other types of Haemophilus influenzae or meningitis. Also, no vaccine provides complete, long-term protection for all children who are vaccinated.
Your child should not be treated with PENTAXIM in case it is allergic to the active components of the vaccine or its other ingredients, if it has had an allergic reaction after the previous administration of PENTAXIM or another vaccine if it is suffering from progressive encephalopathy or if it has a high in the vaccination period temperature or some acute illness when vaccination is delayed to improve the health status.
Attention is necessary if the child has had Guillain-Barré syndrome or brachialnaviritis, as well as if there is some systemic disorder, if it has previously received cramps due to temperature or if after the previous vaccinations there was one of the following reactions: temperature 40ºC or more within 48 hours after vaccination, long and inconsolable cry for more than 3 hours, occurring within 48 hours after vaccination, convulsions with or without fever, within 3 days of vaccination, a state similar to shock or flabbiness, fainting …
Application and dosage
Vaccination is performed exclusively by health professionals who are trained and equipped for vaccination and treatment in the event of a serious allergic reaction or if complications occur.
PENTAXIM vaccine is given in the muscle of the anterior outer part of the thigh in a child under the age of 3 years or the upper part of the upper arm. It should never be given in the bloodstream or in the skin. The dosage of the vaccine in primary care or additional vaccination is determined by the doctor.
Possible Side Effects
Allergic reactions – difficulty in breathing or swallowing, blue tongue or lips, sudden drop in blood pressure and loss of consciousness.
Very common side effects are drowsiness, vomiting, lack of appetite, redness, swelling and pain at the site of application, temperature of 38 degrees or more, irritability and unusual wages. Diseases and sleep disorders often occur. Less often there is a temperature higher than 39 degrees and a long and unheard of wages.
Manufacturer of Pentaxim vaccine is a French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur S.A.
In order for the patient to receive the vaccine, it is necessary to carry out a preliminary examination with a pediatrician who will give approval for the vaccine application. If a doctor allows you to receive a vaccine, they will be cared of immediately.
Price of pediatric examination – 3,000.00 dinars
Application vaccine + vaccine – 2.500,00 dinars
Total: 5.500,00 dinars.